From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of W5UXH
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:25 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] [KAT500] Tune operation question

Apparently my subscription to the mailman list got lost, so this is a second
attempt to get this query out there:

First, the Rev C. manual says the following:

/The Elecraft KPA500 is designed to have its key line switched to disable or
enable the amplifier even while it is producing full RF power, but many
other amplifiers may be damaged doing that. To protect those amplifiers, the
*KPA500* is supplied configured so that the key line will not be switched if
more than
29 watts of RF power is present./

I am guessing this paragraph should say "the *KAT500* is supplied
configured....."?

I am getting close to ordering the KPA500 and KAT500 to go with my K3/100
and the tuning process is not clear in my old brain yet.  The manual states:

/A tune operation begins when RF power between 10 and 100 watts is applied
and the SWR is above the tuning threshold in AUTO mode, or when the TUNE
switch is tapped in either AUTO or MAN modes./

I am not able to fully grasp how this all works.  Part of my confusion is
the upper limit of 100 watts.  Typically I will run the amp at more than 100
watts driving into the tuner.  What am I missing?  I hope tuning is
automated such that all I have to do is key down shortly (a dash at 30 wpm I
think I read somewhere) and the tuner will kick the amp offline if retuning
is needed, do the tuning, and kick the amp back online.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Chuck, W5UXH