My normal technique with sound card modes (mostly PSK31) is to look at the audio AtoD overload indicator in my software and reduce the RF gain so it indicates no overload. This procedure uses the minimum necessary gain through most of the radio/AtoD etc, limiting local distortion products. It works very well.

Most of the time I still see band noise on the waterfall, so I'm not missing any weak signals. Sometimes the band noise goes away and I wish I had better dynamic range.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV