My first thought on the audio was to get some efficient earbuds. Lightweight
and cheap.

Over on the KX3 list, people like the Chill Pill powered speakers.

I know it is a second box, but the Hardrock 50 amp has been getting good
reviews. You would not need to get it out except in an emergency, so it could
stay deep in the pack. See:
http://www.hobbypcb.com/amateur-radio/amateur-radio/hardrock-50-hf-power-amp-kit.html

I think there is a lot of evidence that 3dB does not matter. 10dB matters. 6dB
might matter.

wunder
Walter Underwood
K6WRU