Just a couple elaborations on these fine points.

1) QRZ email address is not always a sure fire protection against fraudulent
posts. I had one gentleman I was going to purchase from who was unaware that
his QRZ email was hacked. Get a phone number and references from another ham in
his/her area if it is a big dollar purchase.

2) definitely communicate on the phone about the deal. Get additional pictures
of the equipment. Trust your gut. If it feels wrong it probably is wrong.

3) I use Paypal and I realize it is expensive but I like the protections it
provides. Cashiers checks is also something I have used with the name of the
ham operator selling the equipment based on callsign on qrz or FCC database.

Just another couple elaborations on already posted good suggestions.

Good luck!

Keith
AK6ZZ

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos