Hi Nick.

I've traveled with my KX3 and various accessories on a dozen or more
flights, both domestic (around the USA) and into several European
countries.

Here's a synopsis of the results and best practices derived therefrom.

1. No one has ever shown the slightest interest in the KX3 (with
internal NiMH batteries), coiled antenna wires, coils of coax, or
small bits and pieces and wires.

2. The only items that have drawn attention (once each) have been:

a. A separate battery pack (Buddistick in my case)
b. Needle nose pliers close to 7 inches.
c. A barrel connector joining the PL259s on either end of a coil of
coax (they said they couldn't see it well enough).

The seven inch tool item is a tough one because longer tools are
specifically prohibited. So measure the tool first. However, the tool
that drew attention was only six inches long, but they wanted to
measure it to make sure.

A TSA agent made a suggestion which both makes sense and has so far worked:

"If in doubt, unpack it and put it in plain view."

In other words, I now organize my packing so that the battery pack,
that suspect tool, and such are easily removed for inspection (along
with my laptop and the little bag full of liquids), and rather than
waiting for the TSA to ask, I put them in the examaination tray along
with my shoes.

Haven't raised an eyebrow since. On my last flight (3 weeks ago from
MSP to PDX) a TSA agent actually -thanked- me for putting out the
battery pack!

However, you never know about the next guy, so remember that they're
doing a job, and thank them for being careful :-)

73, Chris NW6V