Hi Gary,
Have you set the KAT500 Amplifier Key Interrupt Power configuration? The KPA is
delivered with that set at 29 watts so if the tuner sees more than 29 watts it
won't open the keying line.  You have to set that parameter in the KAT500
configuration to "Optimize for Elecraft KPA500".

Cheers,

Fred Cady
KE7X
"The Elecraft K3: Design, Configuration and Operation 2nd ed"
"The Elecraft KX3 - Going for the summit"
www.ke7x.com or www.lulu.com
(Coming soon: "The KPA500 and KAT500 - the Elecraft K-Line Dream Station")
fcady at ieee dot org