I have a question about the batteries in my KX3.

I purchased and installed 8 Anasman 2850 NiMH batteries in the KX3 and
have used the radio successfully on these batteries for several months,
including several recharge cycles with the KX3 internal charger. I last
used the KX3 several months ago, so the batteries were understandably
dead when I went to try it out the other day. I plugged it in to an
external wall wart (12VDC 1.5A) and turned the radio on. The reading on
the screen was 12.0V. I then turned on the Battery Charger, but it would
only give me a BATT ERROR on the screen.

Thinking the wall wart might be the issue (it only supplied 12V and the
manual says the charger voltage must be at least 13VDC) I plugged the
KX3 into my bench supply at 13.5VDC and got the same BATT ERROR when
turning on the internal charger.

I then removed all 8 batteries and checked their voltage (no load, just
with an old Simpson VOM) and 4 batteries measured 1.2 V and the other 4
were at 0.0 V. I am not sure why they would be different, nor do I
understand the BATT ERROR message.

I have since ordered 8 AA Eneloops XX low discharge 2500mAh batteries,
and a Maha C9000 charger, but am curious as to how only have the
batteries were dead on what might be going on with the BATT ERROR. Any
thoughts or advise would be welcome.

Thanks,

Richard Gagnon

KG1Y