If you want to put shrink on a connector at the top of a tower, just use 3M
cold shrink tubing. Seals the connector but no heat required…

Ken K6MR

From: Chuck Smallhouse
Sent: ‎Tuesday‎, ‎November‎ ‎12‎, ‎2013 ‎12‎:‎17‎ ‎PM
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net

Bill, W0WFH,

For more than 20+ years I have been using various sizes of the heavy
duty shrink tubing with the sticky stuff sealant inside.

I've used it on the back shell to coax joints on up to 1 5/8" Heliax,
as well as smaller diameter coaxes.  I use another piece to cover the
type N joint  (or heaven forbid PL 259) after it's connected,
overlapping the first on both sides of the joint..  However to do
this on top of a 300' tower you need either a very long extension
cord or a battery operated heat gun.  No, I don't even know if they exist !

This type of shrink tubing (after even 20 years) generally comes off
cleanly, exposing bright connectors underneath.  The removal
technique involves cutting the shrink tubing longitudinally, through
to the connectors, with an Exacto or other quite sharp blade, and
then just pulling it apart.

Properly applied, this type of shrink tubing also provides a
stiffening type of support for the connector to coax joint.

Chuck,  W7CS