Rick, I believe you're confusing SWR and impedance.

If a transmission line is lossless, the SWR will be the same along the entire
length of the line.

If a transmission line is lossy, the SWR will get progressively lower as you
move closer to the transmitter.  In an extreme case (such as 1000 feet of old
RG-58 or worse, at high enough frequencies), there will be so much loss in the
line that EVERY antenna will look like 50 ohms back at the transmitter and the
SWR will be 1:1 there!  So the transmitter end of the line is the LEAST useful
end to look at SWR.

However, the COMPONENTS of the transformed antenna (or load) impedance DO vary
along the line.  And It is the antenna IMPEDANCE that repeats every
1/2-wavelength back toward the transmitter from the antenna end -- not the SWR.

At all other points along the transmission line, unless the antenna impedance
is purely resistive and exactly the same as the characteristic impedance of the
transmission line the load impedance seen along the line will be a combination
of resistive (real) and reactive (imaginary) parts.  Those two components of
impedance continually change in amplitude with distance (in wavelengths) along
the line, repeating every half wavelength along the line.  So if you have an
impedance meter (rather than an SWR meter), you will, in fact, see those values
of R and X vary from point to point along the line.  But many, many, many
combinations of R and X can all result in the same SWR.

A very good way to see how R and X vary with distance back from the antenna
along the transmission line -- even though the SWR remains constant -- is to
understand what a Smith chart displays.

One reason practical SWR meters don't read the same value of SWR on a line --
even at the same point on the line -- is because different circuit designs may
have different amounts of error, or inaccuracy, for different amplitudes and
combinations of R and X.  And the greater the mismatch between the antenna (or
load) impedance and the characteristic impedance of the transmission line, the
larger those swings in R and X along the line will be.  Thus, I'm not surprised
that the SWR monitor in my K3 often shows a different SWR than my Kenwood
wattmeter at essentially the identical point on the transmission line to my
antenna.  Even the world-renowned Bird wattmeter doesn't always do so well!

There are many good treatments of SWR, transformed antenna impedance along a
transmission line, and the use of Smith charts on the web and in many antenna
books.

Bud, W2RU