Re:  "... I don't know how to tell if those filters are on or not?"

If all you want to do is check to be sure they are being selected properly,
skip down to the third paragraph below where it talks about FL1, FL2, and FL3.
If you want to be sure they are turned on (enabled) in the menu, then keep
reading:

Press and hold the DISP (MENU) button until the menu shows up in the main
display.  Rotate the OFS/VFO B know B knob until RX XFIL show up in the
display, then rotate the Main tuning knob to get the display to read NOR for
normal operation (filter working) or NOT INST if the filter is not installed.
Exit the menu by tapping the DISP button.  The filters may now be working, but
it may be necessary to power the KX3 down and back on to get them to work.  The
manual isn't real clear on that.

If you bought your KX3 at the same time you bought your filter module, the
filters should be installed and the required opposite sideband suppression
calibration should have already been done, even if your KX3 was a kit.  If not,
you will need to do that calibration after enabling the filters.  That
procedure is in the KXFL3 Installation and Calibration Instructions which is
available on the Elecraft website.

Once you do that, as you narrow the bandpass down using PBT I/II knob, the XFIL
display in the main display just above the PBT knob (NOT the menu display noted
above) will move from FL1 to FL2 to FL3 as you narrow the BPT down.

BTW, I don't believe the filters make a great deal of difference in what you
hear on the radio unless there is a very strong signal just outside your
current passband.  Someone who has used the radio with, and without, the
roofing filters can probably provide better experience than I can.  I have
never operated without the filters installed.

Mark
KE6BB