The way I like to do it is to get an X-acto knife or another sharp knife
and carefully score the trace in two spots. Use repeated shallow cuts.
Heat up the little bit between the score marks with a soldering iron and
it should lift off (and stick somewhere you don't want it to stick, but
that's just my luck.)