On 12/25/2013 1:06 PM, Douglas Zwiebel wrote:
I've limited the list below to those rigs with 100 or more reviews.  The
sort is by average rating, then # of reviews.

I wouldn't put too much credence in a sort like this -- ratings like this are highly subjective, based on factors like expectations, intended use, relative cost, and experience and the technical background of the reviewer. Is it the guy's first rig, or has he owned and used a dozen or more over decades on the air? Is he a serious DXer, contester, or casual ragchewer? All product reviews must be read through a strong BS filter.

In this particular list, for example, the TS480 is unique, being one of the first (and still few) HF rigs specifically designed for remote operation. Likewise, the 746 (I've owned two) provides a lot of bang for the buck and is fairly robust, but it's got lots of phase noise and a weak front end. The 7600 is also an RF trash generator -- clicks and phase noise abound.

73, Jim K9YC