Let me say that I calculate path losses the same way I did as an engineer at the phone co when calculating the losses in fiber optic systems - the path loss includes all losses between the TX and RX. This is the path the signal takes, hence this is the path loss. We must deliver a certain amount of energy to the RX. If it is in the path and it has loss, it becomes part of the path loss.

As best I can tell this is the same approach employed in VOACAP. There they call it system loss instead of path loss. But I believe it is the same quantity.

If you chose to define it differently that is fine.

And keep in mind that this does not include the gain of an amp or a beam. If you put those into the mix the RX noise level increases by several dB.

You can call the level by whatever term you prefer. -27 dBm, 2 microwatts, S9+45. They are all the same. S9 is a reference point, so many dBm.

TX/RX makes no difference. It is a signal level we are talking about. A level of S9 is something many hams are familiar with. They can relate to S9+45 better than they can relate to 2 uW.

This is just like SWR = 2, return loss = 9.5 dB, voltage reflection coefficient = .33, power reflection coefficient = .11, they are all different ways of expressing the same thing. But far more hams know what SWR = 2 means than know what RL = 9.5 dB means.

And, yes, the wideband noise emitted by any of the Flex TX is excessive.

73 de dave
ab9ca/4