Hi John,

In the TNC settings, you can check the box (for Elecraft Radios) that
indicates USB-Digital.  This will cause the TNC to set the K3 or KX3
to DATA A mode.

There should be no changes needed to TNC module.  The TNC has had this
setting since at least 2010, but only for transceivers that support an
external data mode - the K3 being one of these.

73,
matt W6NIA / NNN0UET