From: Don Wilhelm [mailto:w3...@embarqmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2014 5:18 PM
To: Jim Miller; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Shipping K3 in containers you want back?

Jim,

I do not know the practices used at Watsonville, but I can tell you mine.

I do much of the repair work on legacy Elecraft gear (K2, K1, KX1, XV series
and other thru-hole kits).  I always attempt to return the gear in the same
carton it was shipped in.  Exceptions will be when the original packing is
no longer serviceable or it arrived in a UPS Priority Mail box and I am
asked to return it via UPS (the Priority Mail boxes are only for Priority
Mail).  Common sense prevails at my work station.  The original carton and
the paperwork stay together with the rig while it is being serviced -
including pelican cases or other special protective cases.

The decision of which box to pack it in comes only at the time of packing,
and again, everything is together during that process.

So if you ship me something for repair in some special packaging, you will
get it back in that same packaging if at all possible.

I assume similar practices are in place at other Elecraft repair depots, but
I cannot say for certain because the subject has not come up before, and I
have not asked the others for their procedures.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 1/2/2014 3:39 PM, Jim Miller wrote:
> I have sent items back in the manufacturers case only to have them
> returned to me after "repair" or whatever in a different carton
> altogether (NOT necessarily as sturdy or well padded as the original I
> had used).  What done you do to get them to return the Pelican case
> instead of a cardboard box?  I have purchased a surplus military case
> that was used for night vision optical equipment (heavy metal with
> twist locks, handle) and is really nice size for the K3 and foam
> (nothing extra) for transport but would be skeptical of sending it in
because of previous experiences.