Depending on the location of the feedpoint, the currents may be balanced even if the antenna is asymmetrical. Consider the "end-fed Zepp" antenna in which there is a tiny or non-existent horizontal section on one side and a multiple of half-waves on the other.

Of course, if one side of the antenna is lower than the other or closer to conducting objects, the theoretical balance will not be obtained.

An additional problem, even if the antenna is center-fed, is that the feedline must come away from the antenna at a 90 degree angle from the wires for some distance. Otherwise, the feedline will pick up RF that was radiated from the antenna, in common mode. I suspect that pick up of radiated RF is more likely with an OCF antenna.

A choke/balun at the feedpoint will force the feedline currents to be balanced even if the antenna currents aren't. But if RF that is radiated by the antenna is being picked up on the feedline (e.g., on the outside of a coax line or on a balanced line in common mode) then you will also need a choke at the entry to the shack.