I am also interested in learning about the resolution of this issue... as a
KAT500 is #1 on my current "wish list" for the shack.  One friend got his
very early on... ordered the day they were first shown at Dayton... I have
never heard him mention any problems.  (I think if he had a problem I would
have heard about it, but am not certain).

I borrowed one from a friend who bought it only for QSO party use when
portable.  I have been using it for several months, on 60 - 10 meters with
my 30' Flag Pole vertical.  I do not need a tuner on this non-resonant
antenna if I am on 30 meters, and I use a different tuner on 80.  I have
made HUNDREDS of QSOs in that time with this setup and I have NEVER seen
the "re-tune" issue that some are experiencing.  I stored tuning solutions
everywhere I operate and then leave the tuner in the manual position.  That
may be the key to not needing or seeing any retuning during a QSO.

Obviously, the situation exists, and I have been luckier than some, but I
will not hesitate to purchase one as soon as I am able.

Very 73