John,

For reliable operation, the input to a CMOS device must see a low level of 1.5 volts or less. Your 2.9 volts is in the indeterminate region. As a side note, a high level should be at least 3.5 volts (up to 5 volts), but in this case, the high level is determined by the pullup resistor in the amp.

You may want to redesign your keying interface to eliminate the diodes. If I can suggest using a switching FET such as the 2N7000. If you need isolation between 2 sinks, use 2 2N7000s to accomplish that isolation. If you need more current or voltage handling than the 2N7000 will do, look at a HEXFET.

73,
Don W3FPR