Heard it today for the first time. I find it quite soothing, but would like to
know more about it...

:-)

73
Stewart G3RXQ
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 18:16:52 -0500, Sebastian, W4AS wrote:
> I have noticed the same clicks with mine.  I run mostly meteor scatter on 6
meters, which is somewhat similar to RTTY - long transmit times with a high
average output power.

> After emailing Elecraft support on May 6th of last year concerning a failure
of my KAT500 tuner (which apparently had nothing to do with the amp's noise), I
was told this was due to rapid expansion and contraction of the heat sink, and
even though it sounded like a relay, it was not necessarily coming from a
relay.
 What I found strange was that this noise didn't occur until the amp was
several
months old.  I was offered the option to ship back the KPA500 in order to track
down the noise, and I did so.

> After a few days, I received a telephone call from Elecraft with their
analysis of the noise.  It was their belief that indeed the noise was coming
from rapid expansion/contraction of a metal piece in the amp; specifically what
is known as the Z-bracket.  At the time I was told that a few other customers
had experienced the same issue, although none were in the US and mine was the
first they had the opportunity to look at.  The Z-bracket was replaced with one
of a different metal composition, and I was told that several tests were run on
the amp and there were no other issues.  I received the amp back and did not
experience the clicking noise at first.

> A few weeks later, using the amp in the same manner I had before, the
> clicking
noise came back.  Once again I contacted Elecraft support.  Their response was
the same, the rapid expansion and contraction of the Z-bracket was what I was
hearing, and there were now several KPA500s which exhibited the same clicking
noise, but their conclusion was there was no damage caused by this.  In
addition, there were no faults in the fault log.

> I wonder how many others have experienced the same clicking noise, and if the
issue has been solved.  While I accept their analysis, I still find it strange
that if the amp is on, yet I haven't transmitted for several minutes, I will
still hear an occasional click.

> 73 de Sebastian, W4AS
>

> On Jan 26, 2014, at 3:03 PM, Steve AI9T <st...@ai9t.com> wrote:
>
>> During a couple recent RTTY contest I have noticed that my KPA500 is making
noise. It kind of sounds like a relay clicking in and out. When I first noticed
it I thought it was a fan relay or something to do with the fan. But after
hearing this longer it seems to be related to the temp.  It clicks in an out
around the temps of 62C and 56C. It kind or reminds me of an old radiator
warming up and cooling off. I took the cover off yesterday and checked the nut
that holds the  transformer in place. I thought maybe that spring washer might
be a little loose but it wasn't.