then using the K3 in DATA A mode
this often is caused by incorrect audio levels

the k3's audio level should show 4 bars with the 5th bar flickering
I have run my K3 with the 5th bar solid and it still worked ok

the power out level is set by the K3's PWR knob

most other rigs have a different way of setting this up
doing it 'their way' on a K3 results with the varying power levels you are seeing