I like the idea of encouraging the Technician Class Licensee to participate on
ten meter SSB.  I do not like the idea of converting CB radios because the
person trying to use the converted radio faces even bigger challenges that
often encourages him/her to give up. Far too many of these converts with little
technical knowledge and little respect for legalities tries to use one of the
converted low power radios with the audio gain and thus modulation cranked to
the max to maximize the watt meter reading finds no one wants to talk with him.
 The reason no one will talk to this poor former CBer and new Technician Class
Operator is not that we are discriminating and trying to deny him/her the fun,
but just that we can't read him because of the distortion and are trying to
tell him what is happening to him so that he can fix it or get it fixed.  I
have told more than one unbelieving soul that the reason that all the Extra,
Advanced and General Class
 licensees are in the Technician band is because we WANT to talk with them and
there is no one to talk to on the frequencies where Technicians are prohibited
from operating.  We put on contests that concentrate activity in the bands
where Technicians are allowed to operate.  The Ten-Ten International loves to
encourage these people.  We do not encourage them to buy trashed old CB rigs at
garage sales that are difficult to fix with little technical knowledge and for
little or no money precisely because we would like to talk with them, encourage
them and move them toward becoming great hams like almostall of us.  To get a
ham license without going through a CB phase you need to be as old as I am (73)
or nearly so and license as a child (15 for me) to remember when 11 meters was
a ham band.  There are only a few of us codgers that qualify to remember the 11
meter ham band and way fewer who actually made a ham transmission there. (I did
not!)

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke, TDXS DX Chairman
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart