I can't tell you what it is, but I can describe a few things for you:

Neighbor has a plasma TV. The noise is very broad and at low P3 spans looks just solid as you describe. With a 200 KHz span, you can clearly see the changing video, it's very apparent. Plasma TV's radiate off the screen, his is about 300 feet from my tower, and is very strong but nowhere near 30 over S9. So, if at very wide spans on the P3 it is still constant, it is likely *not* a plasma TV.

Since it seems to be constant from the BC band to 10m, and is very strong, either the source is very close or the total source energy must be high ... very high. If it's not close, it suggests something industrial or associated with a big power line. I had one instance of very broad, very strong noise similar to your description. Same neighbor has a military-grade night vision set-up and we located the source on a power line. Fortunately for me, our power company has been fined big bucks for starting fires, it was on a 112KV line and involved a tree, so they didn't play around, they just fixed it.

My current noise source is a sodium vapor lamp lighting the interstate off ramp about a mile from here. The lamp is dying, it goes through the start sequence, appears to be firing up and then dies. It will repeat in a couple of minutes. The street lamp belongs to CalTrans, I can't get them to fix it. Then again, I really have no illusions about getting the State of California to fix anything.

Unfortunately, tracking down noise with a portable radio [I use my KX1] requires that the noise be present for significant periods. Good luck, if you find it, I'd like to know the source.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org