 From: Sam Morgan <k5oai....@gmail.com>
To: "elecraft@mailman.qth.net" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 8:50 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] KAT500 vs KAT3

Question about the difference between my KAT3 and my KAT500 tuning.
Currently running 1.57 firmware (although I have seen this b4 on earlier
versions) This happens on numerous bands, but for now lets talk 30m

Running 100w out of the K3 and no amp.
Vertical antenna KAT500 in AUTO tune best SWR 1.6:1
even after a long tune and then another tap to try to find a lower swr still
1.6:1 best swr (KAT500 set to 1.8:1 to cause a retune)

KAT3 with same vertical antenna best swr 1.0:1

I have 2 antennas, one vertical and one horizontal on all bands,
so I would prefer to use the KAT500 as it has all my antennas into it

but I would also like to run the lower swr
but that isn't possible unless I do some multiple button pushes
kat500 ant 1 to 2
kat3 to bypass
kat500 to auto
then reverse
kat500 to byp
kat3 to ATU
kat500 ant2 to 1
to get back to the other antenna using the kat3

or I have to make the kat3 retune everytime I switch vert to horz if I use only
the kat3 for both

the idea is to have a quick switch from horz to vert and back
this should be possible using either tuner
with the swr the same on them both

the vertical has a 1.5:1 with out the tuner
the question is why won't the kat500 tune the vertical to a 1.0:1
if the kat3 will tune the same antenna to 1.0:1

-- GB & 73
K5OAI
Sam Morgan