The solution is to disconnect the AUX cable from the KPA when using the KX3.
This is not a KPA issue - you can leave the KPA500 turned on and power off the
K3 and you will see the KPA switch to 60 meters after a short while.When the K3
powers off, the Vcc naturally sags to 0V. The Band line outputs are pulled up
to Vcc. When the K3 internal supply goes to zero, they still pull to Vcc, which
is zero. That represents 60 meters. If the KPA is on at this time, it will
follow orders and go to 60 meters…

The more dangerous situation is that the K3 _may_ pull the KEY line output to
zero, which keys the KPA. The real solution is to switch the K3 out of the AUX
circuit when using the KPA with some other transceiver.

Jack Brindle, W6FB