Hi Bill,

In the K3 Utility -> Configuration tab -> Configure Crystal Filters,
you will see that each filter has a Gain setting.  You can change the
gain on a per-filter basis to maintain approximately the same overall
gain.  Generally the smaller bandwidth filters require a few more dB
gain than wider ones.

An example:
13 KHz:  0 dB
6 KHz: 0 dB
2.8 KHz: 1 dB
1.8 KHz: 2 dB
0.25 KHz: 4 dB

These settings work well in my K3.  Yours may be somewhat different
though.  Don't forget to balance filter gains for the subreceiver if
you have one.

73,
matt W6NIA

On Sun,  2 Mar 2014 11:37:58 -0800, you wrote:

>I have the 2.1 KHz (for SSB) and the 250Hz (for CW and digital)
>filters. I used the frequencies marked on the filters for the K3
>setup, so everything is quite standard. I notice as I am
>narrowing the bandwidth in both CW and SSB, when the K3 switches
>to a narrower filter, there is a noticeable step down in the
>noise level that doesn't occur when just narrowing the DSP
>bandwidth one notch. This reduction in noise is one of the big
>advantages in having the filters, and I don't think it involves
>AGC pumping, even though I live in Silicon Valley with a large
>number of other hams.
>
>Cheers - Bill, AE6JV

Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
--
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will
spend the first four sharpening the axe." -A. Lincoln