-----Original Message-----

From:  "Vic K2VCO" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subj:  Re: [Elecraft] Noise on received audio
Date:  Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:34 pm
Size:  1K
To:  "Dan Schieler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc:  "elecraft@mailman.qth.net" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>

Dan Schieler wrote:

> I have recently started
> noticing distorted or "buzzing" riding on type of the audio.  This is
> most audible on CW with strong signals, but I can also her it on SSB
> voice signals as well.  <snip>
>  I hear it most pronounced when using the 100W
> amp lid, but I can also hear it when using the qrp lid.

This could be a long shot, but maybe it's the old 'magnetic field
pickup' problem.  When I first added the KPA100 to my K2, I noticed that
the sensitivity to AC magnetic fields increased.  Who knows why!

I had originally had a problem from my antenna rotor control box with
the QRP K2, so I moved it.  When I got the 100w lid, I had to move it again.

So, how far is your K2 from a linear power supply, rotor control, or
anything with a transformer or motor in it?  Elecraft has a mod (named
after me, K2VCOSHLDKT) that will greatly reduce sensitivity to such
fields, but if you haven't installed this mod then you should keep all
such magnetic sources at least 18" away from the K2.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco