Gary,

I can't answer on the microphone, but I can respond to your PTT question.
PTT is available on the microphone plug and also on the ACC2 jack tip (if you set the menu for it). The Elecraft cable adapter for the ACC2 connector can be used for PTT. Just set the KX3 menu for ACC2 IO to LO-PTT and it should work.

If you have no other uses for the ACC2 connector (KeyOut to an amplifier), you might want to consider replacing the 3.5mm plug on your PTT switch with a 2.5mm stereo plug with the switch connected between the tip and sleeve. If you must reduce space required, changing the plug may be the better option as opposed to using the Elecraft ACC2 cable as an adapter.

73,
Don W3FPR