Ed,

I can't answer your question directly because "it all depends".

Your preamp has a very low noise figure. If mounted at the antenna, it will swamp out any losses in the feedline (as opposed to mounting it in the shack). However, with good low loss feedline, the loss in 25 feet of coax may not be significant. If you had 200 feet of coax, then you would likely want to put the preamp at the antenna.

If you do add the preamp at the antenna:
With 24 dB of gain, you may find that the dynamic range of your receiving system is reduced. That can be increased by reducing the front end gain of the XV144 - it involves removing the MAR6 amplifier in the XV144. The instructions are in the XV Owner's Manual.

If you do not currently have the preamp mounted at the antenna, I would suggest trying the stock XV144 to see if that meets your operating needs. Should you find that weak signals are difficult to copy, then add the preamp at the antenna for improved noise figure of the entire system.

If you add the preamp, it may be beneficial to run a separate RX coax from the preamp to the XV144 (split RX and TX at 144 MHz) which entails removing a relay and adding a jumper.

If you are not into extremely weak signal reception (such as EME), then the XV144 without the preamp may be more than adequate. The typical XV144 will receive a signal less than -140 dBm above the receiver noise floor with no difficulty.

73,
Don W3FPR