I have this problem occasionally on my sloping Vee for 40, 80, and 160, and I know it is in the antenna. The V is fed at the top of the tower with 450 ohm ladder line which connects to the antenna wires with copper split nuts. Corrosion has slowly occurred, and over time, the band gets very quiet. A single dit will fix it, and of course, if I continue to transmit such as in a contest, all is well. Getting it down to fix it is a serious PITA because of all the trees under it, and I don't know how much longer we're going to be here, so I live with it. YMMV.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org