Ed

Thanks for your feedback on end to end signal EIRP rules of thumb between JT65
and CW.

The frequency stability and other JT65 mode considerations are where I need the
trade offs and it's nice to see it can be done with under 10 watts of drive to
an amplifier in Class C.  That makes it much easier than I'd thought.  However,
greater frequency stability is something I'll be working to achieve.  I believe
better frequency stability between the two ends in QSO reduces time to complete
a contact.

The K3 with it's internal transverter and new external 10 MHz reference option
make staying within 2 or 3 Hz possible. The external reference stabilizes both
the K3 and the K3's internal transverter LO.  Where as, the separate XV144 with
it's own TCXO option for the LO make it possible to stay within 10 Hz or so if
the K3 has its own TCXO option.  With the XV144, temperature change during
continuous 10 watt output on J65 it will cause some drift with dissipation heat
  The manual says output must be run backed off to 10 watts or less output with
the 100% duty cycle of JT65 transmission.  So, a high gain amplifier that
allows the least amount of drive from the XV144 makes it more stable.

 I can get to >700w power level by building a solid state amp using one of the
Freescale LDMOS devices like the MRFE6VP61K25H.  They have high gain around 20
dB and can be biased for near class C or AB depending on the mode operation.  I
already have a 50 volt supply.

The array being x-pol yagi with 15.5 dB gain and with separate vertical and
horizontal feed lines using low loss hard line gives me options of H, V, and
x-pol use.  This gives me all polarity choices depending on what seems to work
based on conditions.  Meteor scatter experimentation will be another area of
interest.

All the other inputs from you and others are appreciated too.  Thanks

73,

John, W1QS