Jeff,

When you measure the output of the regulator with your DMM, you are drawing very little current. However, the KX3 draws current from the regulator which results in a lower voltage.

Also the solar panel needs to be oriented toward the sun on a clear day to develop its full rated output, if it is at some other angle to the sun or the time is other than mid-day, you will have less output. You may want to try using the solar panel to charge an external battery such as a Sealed Lead Acid type rather than trying to power the KX3 directly from the solar panel.

73,
Don W3FPR