From: Robert G Strickland <rc...@verizon.net>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Friday, April 4, 2014 1:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: application of directional Quad in UHF

Johnny...
I have no experience with UHF quads, but I modeled, used and modified an
HF quad for over 15 years. I now use a SkyHawk HF triband yagi. Based on
that experience, quads require more mechanical effort for construction
and maintenance. The form factor for a yagi is two-dimensional, while
for a quad it is three-dimensional. Thus, packing, storage and transport
is potentially simpler for the yagi than for the quad. Feeding a yagi is
simpler than for a quad, because the yagi can use a solid driven
element, while the quad generally requires a break in the driven
element; this can complicate construction. Adding elements to a yagi
antenna is mechanically simpler than adding elements to a quad. So,
based on my HF experience - and thinking about UHF quads - I think
mechanical issues might be a significant difference. At UHF a 4/5
element yagi might be easier to deal with than a 3-el quad. My opinion.

...robert

--
Robert G Strickland, PhD ABPH - KE2WY
rc...@verizon.net.usa