On 04/06/2014 01:10 PM, Sam Morgan wrote:
Due to the recent subject of Anti Static mats, I did a little googling
and thought I'd share my findings.
maybe Alan or someone more knowledgeable than I can let us know if the
Sierra is really up to the standards we need met?

From my 2010 posting
http://www.mail-archive.com/elecraft%40mailman.qth.net/msg94407.html

   "So my recommendation is to buy a mat such as the Desco model that
   has a data sheet that specifies that it meets ANSI/ESD S4.1 or
   ANSI/ESD S20.20."

I recommend against using a mat that has no specifications other than asserting it is an "anti-static mat." I found that the two I bought and tested both had too high a resistance to do any good.

=======================

On 04/06/2014 02:20 PM, Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT wrote:
> One thing worth noting: 1000x lower resistance isn't necessarily
> better,

Right, you don't want the mat to be too low a resistance either. Do not substitute a metal sheet for an anti-static mat. That just makes it even more likely you will zap something.

=======================

On 04/06/2014 01:43 PM, Larry Lopez wrote:
> They made me take an ESD course at work and well I have a few
> comments I feel forced to make.

Larry had a number of good points, for example:

> When you have a discharge you might have failures months or years
> later.  It may be damaged and it may work fine.
>
> For a while.

Exactly right. ESD is insidious. People think that if you didn't feel a "zap" when you touch something that there was no electro-static discharge. But a discharge that you can't feel can still be enough to damage a sensitive part.

=======================

On 04/06/2014 12:10 PM, Fred Townsend wrote:
> As a consultant I have done ESD audits of factories. If they know
> the audit is coming all the wrist straps are in place. Surprise
> audits are another thing. I find the straps and footwear to be
> rarely used. How can they get away with that? The answer is they
> have good work habits that avoid ESD problems rather than bleeding
> off static build up.

I think in many cases they actually are not getting away with it as well as they think. Part failures happen for a reason. If the reason can't be found it could well have been ESD.

Some factories do in fact strictly enforce static-safe procedures. HP/Agilent "got religion" on this many years ago, at least here in Sonoma County CA.

> Here are a few everyday hints the pros use.
> 1. Wear cotton!
... [etc. etc.]

All those suggestions can help, but they are not foolproof. It requires constant vigilance to make sure you don't make a mistake. Rather than go to all that trouble, why not just use the anti-static mat and wrist strap and be done with it? If the wrist strap is too awkward, an ankle strap is a good alternative.

Alan N1AL