...I have a great problem with AM-Breaktrough and I have to switch to 8kHz
ZF-Shift. So most of my operation time my KXFL3 is not in use :-(

73 de Uwe, DL4AC
 ---------- Weitergeleitete Nachricht ----------
Von: "Rick Tavan N6XI" <rta...@gmail.com>
Datum: 12.04.2014 01:04
Betreff: Re: [Elecraft] Curious -- why is KXFL3 roofing filter an option on
KX3 ?
An: "Phil Hystad" <phys...@mac.com>
Cc: "Elecraft List" <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>

If all of your operating is casual chatting, on uncrowded bands, with poor
antennas, then the KXFL3 won't do much at all for you. Its primary function
is to prevent DSP overload from very strong, adjacent signals and you won't
experience that much if at all. If much of your operating is serious DXing
or contesting on crowded bands with good antennas and active nearby
neighbor stations, you will often encounter those strong, close-in signals
and the KXFL3 will help a lot. Somewhere between those extremes of strength
and crowding is the threshold. I got the filter even though it is often
unnecessary.

/Rick N6XI

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 7:56 AM, Phil Hystad <phys...@mac.com> wrote:

> I have a curiosity question.  Why is the KXFL3 roofing filter an option on
> the KX3?  I mean, why is it not a built-in feature of the KX3?  First, I
> already own a KX3 with the KXFL3 filter so I am not asking this in order
> choose to buy or not.  Caveat:  I am also a neophyte (philistine,
ignorant,
> or troglodyte) in this sort of radio technology and still in learner mode.
>
> But, it seems to me that the KXFL3 roofing filter is almost required with
> a radio as nice as the KX3.  Without it, as I understand the function, any
> crowded band interval like a pileup or close-in CW signals and such would
> render a KX3 (without the roofing filter) with less than the usual
Elecraft

--
Rick Tavan N6XI
Truckee, CA