I just got a KAT500 a couple of weeks ago and was talking with Eric. The Beta's which might have been released to live by now had many changes that would make the the three device all get along much better.

I am pretty sure you need to set the baud rate on the KPA500 and the K3 to the same rate. Ie 38400.

You will need to get the usb-serial cable to do the updates.

The KAT 500 acts as a type of Y or WYE for the 15 pin cable.

You should have got a the pc interface cable with the KAT500.
Download the current utility and then download version 1.67

Under configuration you should see a big button that says Optimize for KPA-500.

Push it!

I was told to put 1500  in the maximum watts box.

save it and see what happens.

The KPA 500 should switch to the right band on rf. It is strange that it will not amplify.