Dale,

That is an old problem often referred to as WAOF (Weird At One Frequency).
That frequency region is where the PLL frequency and the VFO frequencies cross. Those two signals can couple together producing the condition that you observe. The fix is to reduce the opportunity for those signals to couple together.

Make certain that C88 on the bottom of the RF board soldered between pins 12 and 13 of U4 is on the correct pins and has the shortest possible leads. Also the length of the leads for RFC15 and C91 should be as short as possible at the connection point with U4 pin 16.

If that does not take care of it, flush cut all pins and component leads in the vicinity of U4 and U6 including the R-paks to eliminate anything that could act as an antenna. Also above the board make certain the varactors and capacitors in the VFO and PLL area are seated completely down on the board - long leads will cause the signals to couple together.

The last gentleman who had this problem reported that the above efforts did not stop it entirely, but when he covered the U4 area with electrical tape, the problem went away. Now, I can't explain why the electrical tape would have that effect, but give it a try.

73,
Don W3FPR