I don't know the GMail mail client, nor am I referring only to Mr. Conner.

I do know that less than half of this conversation is on-list.

I would not expect 6 meters to do any better than 2 meters. I do know that a 6 meter 1/4 wave antenna is going to be bigger than something for 2 meters that has a little gain. I suggested the J-pole because it is an end-fed half-wave and doesn't require a ground plane, and you'd want one for a 6 meter 1/4 wave. The normal J-Pole also puts the radiating portion at least 19 inches above the mount, and getting antennas up in the clear is always good.

You aren't close enough together for a line-of-sight low-power VHF signal to work, and you aren't far enough apart to take advantage of sky-wave propagation. Ground-wave might be good, but mobile antennas for the low end of HF are impractical, and not in your Technician privileges.

We should all find out what problem is being solved and then fit the solution to the problem, instead of just changing things until we find something that works.

I think effective antennas and power on VHF will work. I like the idea of a good 2m amplifier that can be mounted somewhere out of the weather and keeping your handhelds.

Having a KX3 at home, or maybe for extended stops along the ride with some good portable wire antenna would be a lot of fun.

73 -- Lynn