From: "Tom Althoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2005 8:46 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Wanted KIO2

Wayne N6KR mentioned the following in a discussion about cable length
 between a K2/(100) and a remoted KAT-100

 "2. If you're using a KPA100 in your K2, and you do find that power
readings
 are
 unstable with the long KAT100 control cable, you can disconnect the
"VRFDET"
 wire at both ends of the control cable. This is because the KPA100 itself
 provides the VRFDET signal to the K2, not the KAT100. If you have no
KPA100,
 though, you'll have to keep the VRFDET line connected, since the KAT100
 supplies
 the VRFDET signal in this case. But of course power levels are much lower
 without the KAT100, and chances are there would be no RFI problem."

 My KAT-100 is attached permanantly to the bottom of my K2/100 and the
 control lines fed directly between the top and bottom units.   Don W3FPR
and
 I were discussing shielding the ribbon cable between the two units to
 discourage any RF voltage appearing on the vRFdet line but perhaps Wayne
has
 pointed to the easy fix.

 Two questions:
 1) Since vRFdet is fed from my internal KPA-100 Wayne says the vRFdet line
 from the KAT-100 can be left unwired correct?  This would reduce any chance
 of stray RF pickup on that line.

 2) If the above it true...in theory....I would not even need U6 (EL5146C)
in
 the circuit of the KAT-100.   Mine failed and was pulling down the vRFdet
 line in the K2.   I'm going to install a socket at U6 in either case,
 populated or not.   I was not aware that it is not used when running with a
 KPA-100.

 As a reminder of what is physically going on with my K2/100/AT.   This is
 how I've been running my K2/100/KAT-100 for the past year:
 http://www.k2ta.com/k2plus1_2d.jpg
 http://www.k2ta.com/k2plus1_back.jpg
 http://www.k2ta.com/k2plus1_back2.jpg
 http://www.k2ta.com/k2plus1_front1.jpg