I have mixed feelings about the recent trend to 'demand' Elecraft release their utility pgms for linux in 64 bit versions, in addition to the 32 bit versions they already release.

Here are a couple of thoughts....

In most of my readings on different radio related forums as well as email groups, IMO the trend for computers used by the majority of hams in their shacks are the of the older 32 bit models. I say that based in part on the hue and cry about having to retire their XP machines and how stressed they are that they will have actually go out and to buy a newer (64bit) computer to use beside their $3k to $5k rigs. <g>

Instead of adding to the Elecraft software guys load by asking them to build tailor made releases, when IMO their time might be better spent working on the coding for the many firmware upgrades we have requested for each of their growing list of products.....

Maybe some of the more knowledgeable *nix gurus on the list, could contribute a Distro specific howto write up for installation on their favorite operating systems (distros). Send it in and let Elecraft post the info on the pages in a paragraph right below the Linux utility links.

===
Something like K1JT has done for WSJT-X at the bottom of this page:
http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx.html

<quote>
Linux: Thanks to AC6SL and KA6MAL, packages for v1.1.1 r3520 on Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10, 13.04, 13.10 are available at https://launchpad.net/~jnogatch/+archive/wsjtx

        Ubuntu Linux installation instructions:

1. If you have not obtained packages from this PPA (Personal Package Archive) before:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jnogatch/wsjtx

2. To obtain the latest version from this PPA:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install wsjtx

3. You should also download kvasd and put it in the same directory as executable binaries wsjtx and jt9. Normally (after running the script /usr/bin/wsjtx once) this directory will be $HOME/.wsjtx
</quote>
===

===
Or how about creating a PPA (Personal Package Archive) (complete with a how2 use it) and sharing their work with the folks at Elecraft so they can add those links. Like John Nogatch did here:
https://launchpad.net/~jnogatch/+archive/wsjtx

===

===
Another good example of what I would like to see, would be the multi distro help links found for Fldigi contributed by other found at the bottom of this page: http://www.w1hkj.com/download.html

where you will find links to:
<quote>
Puppy / NBEMS How-To-Install

RPMS for Open SuSE: Maintained by DL8FCL

COPR for Fedora Maintained by Richard Shaw

Open SuSE Spec files:Spec File Site

Centos Spec files: Index of Centos NBEMS redhat SPECS

Debs for Ubuntu:
        https://launchpad.net/~kamalmostafa/+archive/fldigi
        How To Install from Kamal's PPA

Past versions of software
        Berlios archives

Wiki for fldigi etc.
</quote>
===

<rant on>
When I started using linux in 1994 or so, folks didn't go around demanding others do stuff for them, instead they *ask* what they could do to learn how to do it for themselves. In response the more knowledgeable folks ask what they could do to help create how2's so others could learn to do it for themselves. Seems the current batch of linux users have shifted from the point of helping themselves and others, to where they now *demand* _others_ 'do it for us' because they 'owe it to us'.
</rant off>

--
GB & 73
K5OAI