And Metrovision (in the Washington DC area), the first licensed ATV repeater, had a Mark-8 (an 8008) at the repeater site in 1974. We could program it remotely using keyboards (in raw octal machine language), and the results came back via a character generator on the video downlink.
73, Terry, WB4JFI

-----Original Message----- From: Lewis Phelps
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:59 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net List
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Computers in the Stone Age

Someone wrote:
Desktop computers did not come into being until the advent of the IBM PC in the 1980s.

Nah. Heathkit H89 came out in 1979. “All-in-One” desktop computer. Z-80 processor. CP/M OS addressed 64 KB and used 39 kb of that total. two 5” floppy drives (dual sided 800k) as an option. Later, somebody came up with a card that plugged into the 5” drive slot and gave 128K of silicon hard drive. Now THAT was advanced for its era. Booting from that was faster than lightning, for its time.

And do not forget the Ohio Scientific Instruments OSI Challenger 4P….

Lew

Lew Phelps N6LEW
Pasadena, CA DM04wd
Elecraft K3-10
Yaesu FT-7800
l...@n6lew.us
www.n6lew.us

Sent from my Mac Pro 256-Array Supercomputer (9.42 teraflops)