We did this from PJ4A in the CQ WW CW contest using a passive splitter pretty much as you describe. There were several headsets used before and during the contest. It worked just fine.

The bigger problem is having two operators needing to access the front panel of a small radio and, in our case, having two logging programs needing frequency information from one radio. The latter was solved with a software hack - the former, well, you don't have to touch the radio much when you are running stations from PJ4.

    Paul, K1XM