Personally, I can't WAIT until we endorse the metric system. Then we'll only have ten months so we can completely eliminate those nasty January's and February's.

Chas

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark via Elecraft" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Temperature Sensors

Don said:  “Yes, but you have to do a bit of math.”

…or use one of the most useful pieces of software ever written (for an engineer, anyway), Convert (http://joshmadison.com/). I used it throughout my career which required skills in both metric and imperial systems. Like Morse Code or learning a new language, it gets easy after you do it for a while, but usually conversion isn’t really necessary. All modern electronic components are spec’d in metric. Electronic power and temperatures limits have always been in metric units, even for old tubes, so it makes sense that Elecraft chose to display Deg. C.

Keeping a few key temperatures in mind really helps. Water freezes at 0 deg. C, 20 deg. C is about room temperature, 70 deg. C is uncomfortable to touch, and water boils at 100 deg. C and will definitely hurt to touch. Write this down, keep it in front of you. Get familiar with a few component spec sheets for some of the components in your radio whose temperatures are displayed, and you will soon start thinking in “degrees Celsius”.

Learn, learn, learn.  It will keep you young!

Regards,

Mark
ars: KE6BB

Message delivered to pin...@erols.com