There is a lot of work on number and length of radials. You can get a good
ground with anything from 16 1/4 wave radials to 120 1/10 wave radials buried.
Elevated 1/4 wave radials work well with only 2, though 4 is nice.

The experiments on this are either in the ARRL Antenna Book or the ON4UN Low
Band book. I'll try and track it down.

You may have rocky, low-conductivity soil, so radials could be much more
important.

wunder
K6WRU

--