I have used the "un-module" rework eliminators available from Ken and Gary for the construction of a new K2.

When I first got started, the whole thing seemed very complicated, but it really isn't.

In my opinion, they cost more work than they save, because currently it's left to you to figure out the necessary changes to the K2 assembly procedure. In my opinion, it's still worth the trouble, because you are left with a more flexible and easier-to-troubleshoot radio, and you are spared from most of the rework when you install the options.

Another thing to keep in mind if you are considering assembling your K2 with the "un-module" rework eliminators is that you will want to order the extra parts listed in Ken's and Gary's Bare K2 Upgrade Parts List (on their web site), for the options you have not purchased for your K2. This doesn't cost very much, a maximum of $22.98 not including shipping, but the cost still must be considered.

Ken and Gary are no doubt soon to provide their document that describes how to modify the K2 assembly instructions if you are incorporating the "un-module" rework eliminators from the beginning. In the meantime, here is the procedure I used:

1. Order the parts you need from Elecraft according to Ken and Gary's Bare K2 Upgrade Parts List.

2. Build the "un-module" rework eliminators according to the instructions. If you have access to a Dremel tool with a cutting disk, use it to separate the boards instead of snapping them apart.

3. Using the excellent diagram in the middle of the "un-module" manual, identify the K2 parts that you won't be installing. (It's a short list.)

4. Download the PDF copy of the K2 manual from the Elecraft web site. Search through the document electronically to find the assembly steps that call for installing the parts you identified in the previous step. In your printed manual, line out with a pencil the instructions to install those parts, and make notes in the margin to install the appropriate "un-module" instead.

5. From the Elecraft web site, download the manuals for the K2 options that the "un-modules" are substitutes for.

6. Go through the K2 option manuals and figure out what other installation steps you might want to incorporate into the K2 assembly procedure. Typically such a step might be to install the standoff that the K2 option will mechanically attach to in the future. You will have all the parts you need because you ordered them in the first step. I scribbled notes on printed out copies of the relevant pages of the option manuals (no need to print entire manuals), and referred to the notes when I was installing the "un-modules".

7. Relax, don't worry, and have fun building your K2!

A couple more things:

* Don't leave the "un-modules" installed when doing routine K2 build steps. You could easily break parts off the "un-modules" when handling the RF board, especially when you have the RF board flipped over.

* When doing tests and alignments with power applied to your K2, make double-sure that the appropriate "un-modules" are installed first.

Once you get the general idea, installing the "un-modules" is very easy. Thanks Ken and Gary for a great product!

[Standard disclaimer: I have no connection with Ken or Gary except as a satisfied customer.]

- Rob KE7EAG
K2 #5004 (under construction)