Re:  I couldn't ignite it. It would sputter and refuse to burn. We were at
7400' (2260 m).

That doesn't surprise me.  I don't have experience with butane torches at
altitude,  but I have eaten far too many freeze dried dinners that were crunchy
because, at altitude (8,500 ft. in my case), there wasn't enough oxygen in the
air so that the flame from my friend's butane stove would heat the water hot
enough to reconstitute the food.  Cold temperatures affect butane stoves as
well.  Put high altitude together with cold temperatures and the result is
crunchy noodles!  (My old Svea white gas stove works well to 11,000 ft., even
in the cold, but it has its own hazards).

Mark,
KE6BB