Fred Jensen wrote:

Someone in the SKN thread mentioned the J-36 as a straight key and I'm wondering if anyone knows what the nomenclature for my Lionel bug was. I wouldn't mind finding one to buy too.

The J-36 *is* a bug. Many were manufactured by Lionel during WWII, and several other manufacturers, including Vibroplex. They are based on the Vibroplex "Lightning Bug" design. I'm lucky enough to have a really nice one which is my favorite bug.

They are pretty common. If you aren't a collector and are interested in a bug to operate, the J-36 and Vibroplex Lightning Bug and Champion all have the same construction and are excellent bugs. The J-37, J-38, and J-47 (and who knows how many more) were straight keys.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco