Yeah, I just hate it when my 3CX6000 amp kicks out from too much grid drive.

Chas

----- Original Message ----- From: "kd7gc" <kd...@q.com>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 12:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Tuning your radio and amplifier to your amtenna

Hello Jim,  In major part I agree with your suggested method for tuning up
and amp, but I would never begin my tuning with an output from my
transceiver of 4 watts. I have never heard of anyone suggesting that tuning
should begin with anything close to 4 watts.  I generally go thru 3 or 4
steps, but I start with my transceiver set to about 25 or 30 watts output.
I bring my drive up in say 3 or 4 increments until I reach my desired amp
output, usually in the range of about 60 or 70 watts of drive, at least for
smaller amps.  However, when I tune up my Henry 5K I don't exceed about 45
watts of drive because I would already be over 1500 watts out. At 70 watts
of drive I would be running over 3KW, or 3.5 KW on 40 or 75 meters.

HTH

Alan R. Downing

Phoenix, AZ