I just did one of the dumbest things I've done since I tried to swim across the Susquehanna river with all my clothes on. I survived that, but I need help with something else.

I just turned on a computer plugged into 230v with the switch on the power supply set to 115v. Result: bang, smoke, house breaker (16a) pops.

I took the power supply apart (it is a funny size so I have little confidence I could replace it). I found two obviously bad components: 1) an 8a fuse -- no problem. 2) something marked znr1 on the board, a component wrapped in heatshrink tubing. It was completely destroyed. Next to it is a similar part labeled znr2. I haven't removed it yet -- so I am not sure it is good. It might be the same as the first one and it might be marked under the heatshrink.

There is a bridge rectifier nearby which checks good. All traces look ok. I am hoping there is someone out there who is familiar with these supplies who can suggest what these are (zener diodes? What voltage?) The board is made in such a way that it is difficult to trace the wiring -- but these parts are right near the power input.

--
Vic, K2VCO/4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel