I had the same issue in Ubuntu Linux. The reason was that by default only root has access to /dev/ttyUSB0.
If you add yourself to the group "dialup" like this:

In a terminal do at the ~$ prompt:

sudo usermod -a -G dialout <username>

where <username> should be your name as shown on the prompt before the @...

log out then log in again and start the utility. By then it should work ok. At least to me it did....:-)

Canonical seems not to like people to mess around with group policies therefore leaves out a gui application to set them.

should you still want one:
sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

73,
Peter