Seasons greetings everyone!

I'm still having some trouble getting 10Meters working on my K1. For what it's worth, I did find a relatively inexpensive 36MHz (fundamental) crystal without having to custom-order one. The only catch is it's a surface-mount part. I just soldered some leads on it and dropped it in the X2 position on the KFL1-2 board, and it works pretty good. I'm still having trouble though tweaking the receive, and still getting zero output on transmit.

As far as the values of the band-specific components, I basically just did some really simple guestimating to come up with what to work with. Obviously my quick calculations haven't come up with the right results yet, however. Doing some more web-research, I pulled this out of the reflector archives from 2002:

Hi Mike,

The K1's firmware supports 10 meters, but we have not created a band-module kit for it because it presents a couple of challenges. First, it requires a 36.000-MHz fundamental-mode crystal. Last time I checked this was a pretty expensive item. (You could use a 3rd-overtone crystal, but this would require construction of a 3rd-overtone oscillator on the KFL1 board just for this band, along with a different crystal switching scheme.) Next, the transmit strip may
roll-off pretty quickly above 21 MHz.

It's certainly worth a try, though. If you can find a crystal supplier who is willing to roll you a 36-MHz fundamental crystal at reasonable cost, and order one, I'll calculate the component values you'd need for the KFL1-2 board, and
you can try it.

For crystals, try ECS and ICM.

Wayne

I was wondering if those component values were ever calculated, and if they were, does anyone have a link to them or can email me what they are?

Thanks very much!

-Stephanie
va3uxb

p.s. If anyone's interested, the crystal was from DigiKey, part number CTX686CT-ND, 36.0000MHz fundamental, 20pf. It was less than $4 Cdn.